Monday, December 19, 2011

Merry Christmas!


For this week before Christmas, I collected a few words to enliven well-wishing and season-greeting.

Froust- to sleep late on a holiday. I hope everyone frousts this weekend!

Saturnalia- originally, this was the festival of Saturn the Romans celebrated in December and as sources say, quite orgiastic. But recently, I’ve heard this word used to describe any boisterous Christmas celebration.

Yule- originally, the pagan festival surrounding the winter solstice in Northern Europe, this word has come to be a synonym for Christmas. The Yule Log was a large tree trunk lit to begin the festival. When the embers died, the festival was over. 

Image from U.S. public domain

Merry Christmas! And God bless us, everyone! 

3 comments:

  1. "But recently, I’ve heard this word used to describe any boisterous Christmas celebration."
    What the what?! Are you even trying to tell me that you've overheard ANYONE using this word? If you have, I want to be their friend because they've got a lot better vocabulary that I have.
    (Good post)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught me. I read it, I believe, in Dickens. So...not so recent, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dickens always made me want a good vocabulary, he used words like a painter uses a paint brush.

    ReplyDelete